Health Benefits of Raisins or Kishmish
Raisins or currants are also called “Kishmish” in our India. Raisins are the one of the most popular and well known dried fruit available in the market whole year. Raisins comes from dried grapes, either it is sun-dried or heat-dried, so they are the same nutrients as grapes, but they contains two times more sweetness than grapes. So raisins are sweet, delicious and tasty in flavor having golden, green and black color. Sometimes it is also called “Nature’s Candy”. It is used as raw, milk shakes, juices, cocktails and mock-tails sweet dishes, halwa, kheer, desserts, cakes preparation and making wines. It also contains the same vitamins, minerals and antioxidants as of grapes, So check out the amazing health benefits of raisins as follows:
- Raisins are fully loaded with natural sugars such as glucose and fructose, which helps to promote the absorption of vitamins, minerals and proteins in our body to get instant and enough energy to do extra heavy work. They also helps to promote healthy immune system. Every athlete or body builder likes to eat it due to its natural sugar and providing more energy.
- Raisins are the excellent source of iron, which is required in the production of hemoglobin and acts as a transporter to deliver oxygen to the various organs and tissues of the body and prevent anemia. It also contain phenols, which acts as an antioxidants that helps to protect the oxygen based cell damage and various types of cancers.
- Due to its laxative effect it also helps to prevent constipation, maintain proper bowel movement and the fibers present in it absorbs the water and eliminates the harmful toxins or waste materials from the gastrointestinal tract.
- Raisins contains oleanolic acid, which is better known for their periodontal health benefits. It helps to protect you against tooth decay, cavity, gingivitis and kill the harmful bacteria. That’s why it is used in many tooth pastes.
- Raisins also contains excellent amount of calcium, which is required for the healthy bones and teeth. A another micronutirient named boron is also found in it, which helps in the absorption of calcium and bone formation. The combination of both helps to prevent from osteoporosis also specially postmenopausal woman.
- The presence of polyphenolic phytonutrients (named Resveratrol, anthocyanins) better known for their anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and antibacterial properties, so they fight with the bacteria that causing infections. Resveratrol helps to protect from melanoma cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, coronary heart diseases and also reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. It also encourage the production of nitric oxide, which helps to relax the blood vessels.
- It also contains calcium, iron, manganese, folate, magnesium, copper, fluoride, zinc, copper, thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, selenium, phosphorus, tartaric acid, tannins, catechins and manganese, which also hosts many health benefits which can be read on the another published article on our website.
- The presence of potassium and magnesium in it, helps to maintain the fluid level of the body, prevent from high blood pressure by countering sodium, control heart rate and reduce acidity known as acidosis.
That’s why raisins are most popular in dried fruits in the world. It can be used in many other health conditions such as to boost sex drive, stimulate libido, aids in erectile dysfunction, cataract, vision loss, ARMD (age related macular degeneration), helps in the excretion of bile, promotes healthy weight gain, prevent nerve disorders, diabetes, reduce the risk of colorectal cancer and much more. If you know more health benefits of raisins, then please share your knowledge with us to serve others better.